Tuesday, April 2, 2013

Shaving Cream Painting



So yes this one is late too, but if you read the last post, you are well aware why I'm including it anyway! I've seen the posts of beautiful shaving cream painting online but just had a hard time believing that it would actually come out so beautiful in the hands of my 4 year old and 20 month old. I'm happy to say that I stand corrected and was thrilled to be wrong! (Don't tell my husband I admitted that one). The process was simple and not nearly as messy as I thought it would be! I just googled templates for bunny and egg printouts and after printing them out we gathered our supplies:
shaving cream from the dollar store, paper, poster paints and an old squeegee. I think you could use a folded up piece of paper or even cardboard instead of the squeegee, but I just happened to have one. On a side note, the bunnies were too tough for her, but my 4 year old was able to practice cutting out the eggs which was an added learning experience and it's great to sneak those in where ever we can!
We used paper plates and piled on big globs of shaving cream, then just squeezed out paint in random squiggles and blobs on top of the shaving cream. I am realizing I need more step by step photos in the future so I'll work on that!
Then we just pressed down the paper into the paint and shaving cream blog, pulled it out and squeegeed off the cream. Then we had beautiful eggs and bunnies with fun swirly patterns to celebrate Easter! A word of warning though, if you keep using the same mixture after pressing down too many times, the paint and shaving cream will mix and create a muddy effect. 
I thought this was a really cute and fun idea for cheap and one we will definitely do again. I think it would be a great way to make homemade Christmas ornaments, thank you notes or valentines day cards as well! 


No comments:

Post a Comment